Is it spring yet?
Looking outside at the gloomy, leafless trees and snow, we have a few more weeks to go. However, warmer weather is on the way and this is the perfect time to choose one or more of the fun trips Shelby Senior Services has planned for May through September.
Let me introduce myself, I am Carol McDaniel (photo), Travel Coordinator for Shelby Senior Services, which is located in the new YMCA building, Suite 101. We have been traveling since 2009, and we have been all over the world.
This year we will be traveling to the following places:
- May 3-13 -- Portugal River Cruise: staterooms are offered with or without a balcony, price is based on room choice and start at $5,000 per person. Passport is required. final payment is due Feb. 3. This is a flying trip.
- June 18-24 -- Cape Cod (main photo) and Martha’s Vineyard: this trip is FULL, but we have a waiting list. Cost is $715 per person, final payment is due April 11. This is a motor coach trip.
- July 15-23 -- Columbia and Snake River Cruise, sailing through Washington and Oregon. From $3,915 per person, choice of cabin determines cost. Air travel is an additional $595 per person.
- September 4-9 -- Virginia Beach, Williamsburg and Norfolk. $809 per person. Final payment due June 27. This is a motor coach trip.
- September 24-30 -- Cape Cod and Martha’s Vineyard. This trip is FULL, but we have a waiting list. $715 per person, final payment is due July 17. This is a motor coach trip.
Each trip requires a deposit to hold your seat. Motor coach trips are $75 per person; Flying trip deposits vary based on cost of the trip.
Call 317-701-5984 if interested.
Let me share some facts about our travel program:
- Travelers have to be over 12 years old to travel with our group. So, your grandchildren are welcome if accompanied by grandma, grandpa, and/or parent.
- Travelers must be members of Shelby Senior Services, which allows you to take part in activities not only in Shelbyville, but also in our satellite branches in Morristown, Fairland and Waldron.
- You do not have to reside in Shelby County to travel with us. However, we depart for our trips from the Shelbyville senior center.
- You must be able to walk and climb steps unassisted. You may wish to bring a cane. You will also be responsible to manage one small overnight piece of luggage unassisted. The motor coach steps can be somewhat steep, so keep that in mind. Some of our destinations may not have an elevator at the hotels. You may bring a motorized scooter as long as it is foldable and under 600 pounds. You must have someone with you to help with loading and unloading the scooter. In addition, our personnel cannot help if you need assistance walking or climbing steps.
- Each travel company offers travel insurance at affordable prices. You will be given information about how to sign up for that. The information is printed on the trip flyer.
- I schedule a pre-trip meeting for each trip approximately one week before departure.
- You will receive an email with information to let you know when your final payment is due and when we will meet for the pre-trip meeting. Final payment for motor coach trips are usually due two months before departure. Flying trips require final payment about six months ahead because of air and hotel reservation deadlines.
- Prices quoted on the flyers are based on two people in the room. Singles are a little higher.
- We require that each of the travelers have fun!
I am looking forward to spring and happy traveling in 2023.
Main photo credit: ctpost.com
Get the most recent Shelby County Post headlines delivered to your email. Go to shelbycountypost.com and click on the free daily email signup link at the top of the page.