Shelby County Players, Inc. has purchased the former 44 Bowl Bowling Alley located at 1416 Miller Ave to become SCP’s “forever home.”
The adaptive reuse of the building will create anintimate auditorium with seating for 144 and a full-sized stage with wing space and dressing rooms. Included in the build-out andrenovation will be a lobby, box office,set construction & painting area, props storage, costume storage, an office as well as a green room.
Shelby County Players, Inc., a 501c3 non-profit, has been providing live theatre experiences in Shelby County for more than 30 years. In 1988, SCP performed their first production on the 2nd floor of Fiddler’s Three. In 1992, they occupied the Shelbyville Community Theatre on South Tompkins Street which they called home for 18 years.
In 2010, SCP moved their performances to the Strand Theatre and utilized a myriad of spaces around town for set construction, rehearsal, storage and office space. For the past six years, SCP has been leasing the former 44 Bowl as their primary rehearsal, office and storage space.
Acquisition and completion of this project will help SCP expand their educational programming and artistic collaborations.
President David Fisher: “We see this project as a catalyst to help re-vitalize Shelbyville’s west corridor. The facility will be a one-of-a-kind and something the community will be proud of. The Strand Theatre has been a good partner for our performances and SCP will continue to hold performances at the Strand until additional funding is secured and renovations are completed.”