If it weren’t for Charlie Papazian, we wouldn’t have National Pie Day to celebrate. Papazian, an American nuclear engineer, teacher and an absolute pie lover, declared Jan. 23 (his birthday) to be National Pie Day. And we should all be thankful for that.
Pies are delicious, we can all agree. From pumpkin, to pecan, to apple, to all sorts of different kinds, everyone can find something that they truly love. So to celebrate this delicious holiday, we’ve rounded up the best deals and freebies available at your favorite restaurants and bakeries. Plus, we surveyed 1,000 Americans (via Google surveys) to find out their favorite pie and broke it down by state. And last but not least, we’re sharing an apple pie recipe from one of our favorite bloggers.
National Pie Day Survey Results
National Pie Day Deals & Freebies
Disclaimer: Please read all coupon details and call your local restaurant to make sure the offer is eligible for your location.
Coco’s Bakery Restaurants: Get a free slice of pie every Wednesday when you purchase an entrée after 11 a.m.
Grand Traverse Pie: Get a free slice of pie with any purchase on National Pie Day.
Kohl’s: Kohl’s has a variety of pie pans, dishes and slicers. Go here to see the retailer’s latest promo codes.
Marie Callender’s: Get an appetizer, two entrees and two slices of pie for $25 when you order from their Pair & Share menu.
O’Charley’s: Get a free slice of pie with the purchase of an entrée.
Shari’s: Get a free slice of pie when you join the Shari’s Cafe Club and a free slice on your birthday. Also, get a free slice of pie with the purchase of an entrée every Wednesday from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Sur La Table: Sur La Table has a variety of pie pans and dishes. And use this code to get 15% off any order plus free shipping with email sign up.
Target: Find everything you need to bake a pie at home, from pie pans to ingredients. And get free 2-day shipping on select items over $35.
Walmart Grocery: Order frozen pies or all the ingredients you need to make your own pie via Walmart Grocery. Get $10 off on orders over $50.
Impossibly Easy Apple Pie recipe by Melissa Johnson
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 1/2 lbs. golden delicious apples [or Granny Smith apples], peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 2 tsp. water
- 4 cups Breyers® Natural Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 pouch Breyers™ Caramel Flavored Ice Cream Sauce
- Line 9-inch pie plate with one pie crust. Leave edges overhanging; chill until ready to use.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt in large bowl. Add apples and lemon juice and toss to coat. Arrange apples in prepared pie crust, mounding in center. Place second crust over apples and press gently to adhere to lower crust. Fold overhanging crust over; flute edge and cut a small hole in center to vent. Chill 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Brush pie with egg wash. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Place on baking sheet in the lower third of the oven. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Bake additional 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, until apples are tender, filling is bubbling and crust is golden. Cool on wire rack before serving.